Monday, September 5, 2011

Blog 1: Senior Project Topic

What is your topic? Why?


My topic is forensic anthropology; the critical-thinking application of biological and physical science that is left behind in a victim's skeletal remains. I was always intrigued at our human ancestry, specifically in the remains they leave behind. As a child I was surrounded by a positive environment in the science department, by family that work in law enforcement, as well as a wide variety of human remains museums.


When I was attending Philadelphia Elementary School, science was one of the most important subjects that the school focused on. All six of my teachers created an inspirational science environment that always tied the subject with ancient history such as Tzar Nicolas II of Russia's forensic anthropological evidence, genocides in foreign countries specifically in Africa, and the famous anthropological beauty, Lucy, the million year old evidence of humanoid life on Earth.


One of my uncles, Eduardo Cervantes, is currently a law enforcement officer in Merced, California who saw my interest in the forensic sciences and helped to create the family tradition to view America's Most Wanted every week. I was astounded by the fact that some criminals attempt to make their victims unidentifiable, but as I researched throughout the years, I learned that forensic anthropology is a profession that identifies human victims by their skeletal remains and several other natural components such as soil, insects, and plants.


Thankfully, I had an excellent support system from my family, who wanted me to continue to pursue my interest into this particular profession. The California Science Center hosted two European-German based anatomical exhibitions of real human bodies. They both had a wide variety of skeletal remains that I was completely fascinated about, and I even attempted to identify the owner of the remains before reading the designated plaque. Finally, I attended the Los Angeles County Fair which hosted a body exhibit that contained several human remains of people all around the world. This exhibit added on to my interest in the forensic anthropology profession.


What do you hope to accomplish after studying this topic all year? Be specific and use examples.


After studying this topic all year, I hope to accomplish knowing for a fact that I want to continue the pursuit of becoming a forensic anthropologist, learn the requirements necessary to become a successful forensic anthropologist, as well as earning an internship with a forensic anthropologist.


My dream to become a forensic anthropologist has been persistent for more than seven years and counting and I hope that constantly studying this particular subject will continue to inspire my dreams to study this profession in college. When I get accepted and admitted to the University of La Verne I plan to major in their highly credible anthropology major with an emphasis on forensic anthropology and minor in criminology.


Not everything a forensic anthropologist knows comes from giant college textbooks! I will work on accomplishing viewing a scientifically notable prime-time show known as "Bones" that has been inspired by a real-life forensic anthropologist, novel writer, and profession Kathy Reichs. I will also try to accomplish viewing Smithsonian, FBI, and PBS-themed forensic anthropology specials that give great detail of the topic.


Many professional occupations require two to five years of active experience, especially forensic anthropology. I hope to receive an internship at a private institution, a museum such as the Smithsonian, or even a federal agency with my extremely high interest in this particular profession to be able to fit the prerequisite in my dream career.



No comments:

Post a Comment