Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Blog 8: What I've Learned So Far


1. What have you learned how to do since you started working on your senior project?

Ever since I have started working on my senior project I have learned how to organize information and data in a simpler, easy-to-know table format. My Cal Poly Pomona Anthropology teacher, Mark W.Allen, insisted that we create this because things can get way out of hand once you are recording layers and layers, artifacts, ecofacts, etc. In correlation with forensic anthropology you have to create an evidence that is organizing every piece of evidence, fiber, fragment, or even bone that is found in the scene. This is a very serious and important manner, however, if a forensic anthropologist lacks that expertise, there will be a lack of evidence and material that can be used to solve the case.

The specifics that I focused on learning by organizing materials in a table was differintiating the cultural periods: Basal Paleolithic Period, Lower Paleolithic Period, Middle Paleolithic Period, Upper Paleolithic Period, and Metholithic/Archaic Period based on the humanoid species, traditions, tools used, unique cultural traits, as well as  current exposed sites. 

2. Post evidence of this accomplishment.  It can be in the form of a picture, video, document, etc..

The evidence of my accomplishment can be found as a Google Docs Spreadsheet Document format for easy viewing through web browsing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnHWfOKCFVl3dEZlT3psanhiZWdWX3F6c0Y3Skc3dVE


3. What research helped you to do this and how?

The research that helped me how to do this is my Cal Poly Pomona Anthropology instructor Mark W. Allen, who showed us this undergraduate helpful technique. The main reason he showed us this is because he understands that the class is made up of new-to-college students who would really like these tips and tricks. My professor used the blackboard in the classroom to individually graph and distinguish each cultural period between another by asking for student participation. It was a visual the entire class was able to see. Another source that helped me do this was the article entitled "Data Matrix Codes Used to Catalogue Archaeological Heritage" (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119084757.htm) a Science Daily article that really opened my eyes on how important recording the context of everything that is discovered with its thoroughly explained analysis: be clear, concise, and complete! If I forget a single detail, I will be misunderstanding the analysis of the entire data. I'm glad that I was able to use such a helpful tip to organize information such as evidence, historical acts, and horizontal/vertical soil analysis with my senior topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment