Monday, April 30, 2012

Blog 25: Service Learning

1. LIA Response to blog:
Literal
  • Log of specific hours with a total and a description of your duties:  Forensic Science Academy Club Log
  • Contact Name & Number: Ashlee Enriquez &  1(323) 365-8826
Interpretive
What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?

The most important thing I have gained from this experience was being able to placed in an applied real-life simulation of what it is to be a Forensic Anthropologist. I am surrounded by individuals who are in their adult years and this continues to fuel how I am young and so well-interested in this particular field of science. So I would say that the most importance thing I have gained from this experience was being appreciated for my work because I am making doctorate (Ph.D) credentialed professionals, who actually work in the field that I want, ooh-ing and ahh-ing to the presentations and comments that I have to say. The knowledge I have gained is never going to be forgotten, I continue to read articles in the Economist and the Financial Times that feature Anthropology-based interviews, international spotlights, or crime mysteries that I have been able to interpret and understand. For my hard work, I was even given the privilege to use a National Institute of Justice software program known as the Visualization Science Group VSG.

"Hello,

I just wanted to touch base with you to see if there was anything I can do to help with your evaluation of the VSG software that you are using for Forensic Anthropology purposes, please let me know.

We have offered you Beta and Pre-Alpha licenses so you can try our software. By offering this service, we feel that we reducing any risks that may be associated with the purchase.

We want be able to demonstrate to you that our software will work with your data and provide you with the results you desire.

If needed, please contact Ming Lei at Ming.Lei@vsg3d.com for any technical assistance you may need.

We have found that with over 5,000 VSG software licenses in use all around the world, you have become our biggest asset in spreading the word about our applications. We hope hear from you soon!

Best regards,
Bill Henderson

Account Manager, Academic & Government
V S G - Visualization Sciences Group
 "

Applied
How did what you did help you answer your EQ? Please explain.

What the Forensic Science Academy Club offered allowed me to answer my essential question of, "What is the most important factor of a skeletal remain in a criminal investigation" by implementing hands-on individuals to facilitate simulations, group work with other forensic potential scientists, giving me resources that were government established for my use, field trips to the Los Angeles Coroners Office and Museum of Death, and allowing me to express my knowledge through presentations in front of my peers.

For example, my first answer was "determining if the skeletal remains are in fact of forensic significance based on the presence of trauma." The Forensic Science Academy Club challenged me by taking away that assumption that as soon as I see a bone or a remain I will automatically thing that it is human and try to name or locate where in the human skeletal system it belongs. It was more of a scientific practice to determine the locomotion of the presented remain and being able to draw conclusion by what has been presented to me. It helped me answer my EQ since determine if the bone or remain was of forensic importance would be the most importance factors of a criminal investigation, since after all it is what starts the establishment of an investigation to actually occur! We don't want anyone to get away with it!

Finally, my third answer was "matching a weapon or natural component that was left as a striation of the remains because of the fact that DNA or lethal vectors need to match to an object used to succeed in the cause of death and match trauma-mortem." Now altought this was a tough one, the Forensic Science Academy took me to field trips to the Museum of Death, Los Angeles Coroner's Office, which allowed me to have expert source analysis that determined that this was the most importance factor of a skeletal remain in a criminal investigation. The hands-on application such as the Technology National Institute of Justice Forensic Anthropology Week that allowed me to study, review, and apply matching a weapon or natural component that was left as a striation of the remains because of the fact that DNA or lethal vectors need to match to an object used to succeed in the cause of death and match trauma-mortem and part of the forensics workshop had a lesson about "Tissue & Bone Measurements" and "Forensic Resource Reference on Genetics (FROG) Demonstration and Hands-on Exercise" which allowed me to use impressive government-funded software programs that allowed me to input measurements of bone structures, I applied it with my Service Learning Cranial Reconstruction Project that allowed me to have a computerized version of what I was simulating. Tissue & Bone Measurements program allowed me to know exactly how to measure and be able to apply it in mathematical formulas in order to compute stature and ancestral background, whereas FROG software allowed me to compare skeletal structure caused by DNA in order to compile it with an ancestral background or native origin of the individual I was identifying throughout the entire program.

2. Confirmation of Contact Person, Contact Phone Number, and 50 hours completed

Contact: Ashlee Enriquez & Number: 1(323) 365-8826

Ms. Enriquez was also an interview which has been scanned and placed here for your convenience. 

Refer to Forensic Science Academy Club Log along with blog post evidence:

No comments:

Post a Comment